The Vitaq AI Test Automation Tool helps you to debug your Test Activity Diagrams when your test runs show failures in User Journeys or Use Case Sequences. The two main debug windows are Test Activity Log and Script Output tab.
Before we jump into Test Activity Log and Script Output Tab let’s quickly highlight what debugging is and why it is important to you as QA tester.
In general, we think about debugging only when a problem comes up while writing and executing our test code and we do not know how that problem has occurred. For diagnosing defects and problems in software code you will always need a good debugger which is why you should get to know your IDE well.
Let’s discuss some of the facts to frame the discussion :-
1) The later the bug is found in the software development process, the costlier and harder it is to fix it. If the code written by the developer is buggy and we can find out about it in the earlier stage of development then its easier to fix it before it becomes a critical component of our customers interface to their customers. But if it gets caught at a later stage of time then many newly developed modules are related to it and that can cause major restructuring. Worse yet, if the bug is discovered after the product has shipped, it may require recalling the entire product. In short, the sooner the bug is found easier it is to fix it.
2) Studies have shown that there is 1 bug in every 10 lines of code and that can only be discovered when that application is tested by hitting the edge conditions.
3) Other research on testing shows that 55% to 70% of the time spent on a typical software project is spent on testing and debugging. This large amount of time spent on testing and debugging makes it very hard to schedule projects accurately and is a significant cost burden for any software based product.
4) Software development methodologies around the world have attempted to address these issues by reducing the number of bugs that get built into the product in the first place.
We all know that every code could have probability of having bug in it, the sooner we can eliminate these bugs, the fewer problems will need to be fixed in the testing and debugging phase and the sooner our project can be released
How Test Activity Log and Script Output in Vitaq AI Test Automation Tool help in Debugging
But what if we create bugs in our test code in Vitaq? Let’s say while running our Test Activity Diagram we face several issues that might occur due to error in software under test code or our test code or any specific environment issues then how can we debug?
Here comes Test Activity Log and Script Output in Picture. Let’s see a few common issues and try to debug them via Test Activity Log and Script Output messages.
1) When there is a mis-match between naming convention of defined Test Action and Function/Method present inside the Test Action.
2) When user somehow closes window intentionally/during code execution on Vitaq AI.
3) When user fetch/request data from Test Activity Variable.
4) When there is a syntax error in any of the test action.
Likewise Test Activity Log and Script Output helps a lot in debugging the errors productively while writing and executing our Vitaq AI Test automation code.
The best methodology to follow is to use the Test Activity Log to give us the high level detail and then the script output tab can be used to do a deep dive into the error details so that we can get to understand the cause of errors.